Your tenants need to feel secure and at home in their rental property, as a Coral Gables property manager. Guaranteeing a tenant’s safety can reduce vacancies and increase a building’s cash flow. However, if you do not take special precautions, a number of potentially hazardous conditions can arise without your knowledge. In this article, we’ll look at five of the most common home dangers that, if ignored, could cause serious health problems for your tenants or even result in death. Knowing what those typical household hazards are and how to avoid them is crucial if you want to make sure that your rental property is safe for your tenants.
Mold grows in wet places where there is a food source, such as cardboard or paper. Mold usually emits a musty odor, which is typically the first sign that most people notice. Molds come in a wide variety, the majority of which are unsightly but not particularly harmful to people. On the other hand, Stachybotrys, or black mold, can be poisonous. It may result in allergic reactions, breathing difficulties, and in severe cases, anaphylactic shock.
The good news is that mold growth can be easily stopped in a rental property. Mold can be avoided by simply installing a dehumidifier in the basement, running exhaust fans in steamy bathrooms, and airing out the house. Teach your tenants about mold prevention and the dangers associated with mold growth. Furthermore, you should conduct routine mold inspections of your home. If you discover black mold, you must immediately contact a professional who can eliminate it safely and fix the source of the moisture that led to its growth in the first place.
It’s undeniable that asbestos is a significant issue, particularly for older rental properties. However, asbestos is comparatively safe as long as it is kept inside walls or other closed spaces and is not disturbed. Make sure your tenant is aware that they are not allowed to drill holes or make any other type of openings in the walls, not even to hammer in a nail, as long as your rental property’s walls contain asbestos. Asbestos can enter the house through even small gaps, leading to the cancer mesothelioma.
Asbestos removal should only be performed by certified experts. You shouldn’t attempt to remove it yourself or let a tenant do it in order to avoid harm and illnesses related to asbestos.
Older rental properties may also contain lead, which is a potentially dangerous substance. Before it was banned in 1978, lead paint was regularly used in older homes. Even if the old paint has been covered up, as homes age, paint can flake off, exposing your tenants’ children, pets, and other family members to toxic lead. There are some locations where lead poisoning can also be caused by old pipes.
To prevent lead poisoning, you should have the plumbing and water in your rental property thoroughly inspected for lead. Additionally, if your property was constructed prior to 1978, it would be wise to have the paint tested and removed by experts who are qualified to do so safely. The only way to ensure that your tenants are safe from lead exposure is to completely remove the old paint from all affected surfaces, though painting over lead paint is a temporary stop-gap.
In the United States, residential fires are all too frequent. Household fires can unfortunately be fatal. 2,620 civilian deaths result from the more than 346,000 home fires that occur on average each year. The main cause of fires that start in the laundry room is dryer lint, while oil and other ingredients contribute to cooking fires. Other significant causes of home fires include broken appliances, electrical problems, and unattended candles.
You should take a number of actions to keep your rental property free from fires. First, make every effort to ensure that your rental property is free from electrical problems and have the dryer vent cleaned once a year. Second, instruct your tenants about fire safety and furnish them with essentials like fire extinguishers and functional smoke detectors. You can significantly lower the likelihood that your rental property will catch fire by following these easy steps.
Carbon monoxide is another typical household danger. Burning wood, propane, gasoline, charcoal, and other fuels produce the colorless, odorless gas known as carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide can accumulate in an enclosed space if appliances and engines that use these fuels are not adequately ventilated, resulting in carbon monoxide poisoning. The symptoms of mild carbon monoxide poisoning include headaches, blurred vision, nausea, and confusion. Carbon monoxide poisoning can occasionally lead to fatalities or irreversible tissue damage.
By performing routine maintenance and educating tenants, carbon monoxide poisoning can be avoided. It’s crucial to have your appliances and fireplaces serviced on a regular basis if they use any of the fuels mentioned above. Additionally, put carbon monoxide detectors all over your rental property to warn you and your tenants of any dangers. If your rental home has a garage or if your tenants have a propane grill or heater, it’s a good idea to explain to them that they should never leave a car running or use a propane device in an enclosed space. Basic safety education could protect your tenants from illness and even death.
Securing the health and safety of your tenants is a time-consuming and laborious task. Why not ask the experts for assistance? At Real Property Management Dade, our comprehensive property management and tenant relations programs are designed to keep both your property and your tenants safe. To learn more about the services we offer, call us at 305-501-1511 or contact us online today!
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.